Friday, February 17, 2006

"Wake Up Call"


My phone has been acting up recently and sometimes I don't receive calls, only the messages that arrive without ringing. It was five days ago, while still in Florida, that I found myself disappointed at a particular message I had gotten one lazy afternoon.
"Hello, Chris? We were wondering if you can fill in for a supporting role in a New York Film Academy final thesis that will be shooting the 17th through the 20th of February? Please let us know as soon as possible your availability for those particular dates..."

I was disappointed to receive this call not because I'm not interested in working as an actor or because I have a personal hatred for the New York Film Academy, but because when I rang back only minutes later, the powers that be delivered the news that the small role had already been filled. I wished them well on their project and made it my best effort to get off the phone as quickly as possible. "Oh well, ho-hum. It wasn't meant to be" came out of my mouth. While "Damn, I can't even book a supporting role in a Student Film" rumbled deep inside the pit of my stomach.

It should come as no surprise then that I found myself more than a little taken off guard when I received a similiar phone call at 8:30 am this morning.
"Hello, Chris? We've had an actor leave us and were wondering if you would be able to join our film for the next four days. You will now be playing the lead role of David in my autobiographical film, "The Closet Door."

I was emailed the script for tonight's shoot this morning and filming begins this evening at an Embassy Suites in Battery Park. It continues through the rest of the long weekend at that location and concludes at a church on the Upper West Side. All I know is that I'm playing a man named David and that he is gay, a Canadian and is marrying a woman so that he can get his greencard. Comedy? Dunno. Tragedy? No clue. Nude scenes? Let's hope not.

The life of an actor.
One day you're out and the next day, it's go-time.
Well, I guess, we should now make that showtime.
Eh-hem.

2 Comments:

Blogger Heather B said...

I am all about gay Canadians - congrats on the part :)

7:15 PM  
Blogger Heather B said...

Hi again, if you scroll over my counter thingy, it should say "site meter" It's actually a link to a site that provides thouse counters for free! They have different styles and such.

Let me know if it works or not :)
So the shooting is going well?

11:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger