Sunday, January 01, 2006

REMEMBER THIS


With the start of a New Year comes the onset of a whole set of exciting and fresh New Year's Resolutions.
Alongside the old stand-bys of:
Start exercising
Mind my "P's and Q's"
And work harder at achieving the career I actually went to college for
is a fresh mindset that I want to try and work on.
It might seem minor or pointless to many of you. And perhaps that's because it is minor and mildly pointless. But it will be significant in my own personal well-being and current state of mind.
I've figured out that:

Life cannot be viewed through the lens of a camera. The photographs we take of the worlds we live in don't dictate our existence. And as happy as a perfect picture can make us in this digital age, it doesn't make us, in any way, perfect as a result.

So, as I publish this beautiful photograph that I took while down in Arkansas, I also might try and slow down on the picture taking in the future. Not that I'll ever stop snapping, but I've just become a little too obsessed with every step of my life being perfectly captured in one way or another. If it's not on the blog then it's in the camera. And if there's no photographic proof of a night out on the town or a certain social gathering or, God Forbid, a holiday dinner then it starts to almost feel as though the event never even happened in the first place. Which is crazy.

A picture might be worth a thousand words. But its should never be worth a thousand forms of anxiety.

1 Comments:

Blogger sarah said...

Sontag's On Photography would be a great supplement to this.

p.s. happy new year!

10:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger